Friday, August 12, 2011

Grand Piano Restoration: Cabinet Repairs

 In a previous posting I showed some of the cabinet damage that had to be repaired; there was the big chip out of one of the round legs, the poorly repaired music desk, the back of the fallboard where the lock inserts, and the broken end on the side of the bench.

One of the things I like about using auto body filler is that the product dries in 30 minutes and will accept any colour. This was one of the problems with using the old plastic wood; once any colour was added over top the plastic wood went really dark.

I understand now that there are epoxy style wood fillers with colours, but I have not had a chance to try them out yet so I could not make any recommendations on those products as of yet.

Here are some photos of the repairs done to the broken leg, the music desk, and the bench side. 

Same photo set starting at photo 84

Cabinet Repairs

No comments:

Post a Comment